Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cinnamon Spiced Cake

The Goods:

3 1/2 cups flour

4 tsp. baking powder (I didn't have any so I combine cream of tartar with baking soda - so it would rise, which does the trick. I guessed on the proportions and was happy with the result. Ok course yesterday when I got my Bon Appetit in the mail I noticed that they had a recipe for homemade baking powder, a day late and a dollar short BA)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tblsp cinnamon

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter

1 tsp vanilla
Splash of White Basalmic Vinegar
1 cup milk

7 to 8 egg whites (beaten until stiff not dry)

So here is the thing, This did not turn out perfect for me and though I have made this cake before it did not get wet enough so I added 5 of the egg yolks. Use your own discretion here if the batter is not loose enough add some yolk.

Anyway, mix the dry together in a bowl and set aside. Do the same with the wet. Cream the butter and sugar together, in the bowl of your standing mixer. Add in the dry and the wet into the mixer alternating until it forms your batter. (Remember no eggs have gone in yet so don't panic YET). Scoop out and set aside. Beat the egg white till stiff not dry. Now fold the egg whites into the batter. If it seem dry add in some yolks. This of course will make the batter no as fluffy because you will have to stir and flatten the egg whites, but oh well. Hopefully this step will not have to happen for you. Then you know put the batter in two round pans (prepped with the butter and flour as us bakers do) and put them in a oven all ready to go at 375. This should take 20 minutes to bake up. If you are me it will still be all gooey in the center at this point and you will bake it for another 20 minutes and that will be five to long and trimming will be essential in the end. Don't worry though I have found that when you slather a cake in dairy fats and sugar no one says "you know it was very tasty but a little dry" and if they do the preferred response it "well then make your own damn cake".

No comments: