Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well I was going to post my foray into candy making next. But unfortunately the peppermint patty experiment did not turn out well. I blame the bubbly drinking. Having a friend over to help a imbibing bubbly does not really mix with successful candy making, though they are a perfect recipe for a good time. I ended up overcooking the sugar in the first batch, so it had a caramel taste but a peppermint patty consistency. We never got around to making a second batch. Next year I will be stocked up though, with the peppermint oil and cute little candy cane bags to package them in. Needless to say, no one got the homemade candy packages this year. Oh well!

For Christmas I got "Sunday Suppers At Luques", which I adore and have been wanting for a very very long time. My friend Teresa (who I purchased it for last Christmas) and I are planning on making our way through the recipes this year. 2008 will be the year both of us turn 30, seems like the right time to take on an undertaking of foodie goodness. Let the celebration begin, thirties I am determine to make sure you rock. And to kick the year off I think I want to make the first menu from Luques.
Young onion tart with cantal, applewood-smoked bacon, and herb salad
Braised beef short ribs with potato puree, swiss card, and horseradish cream
Warm crepes with lemon zest and hazelnut brown butter

I think I will head to the farmer's market next week and see how I can shape this menu up. There off course will be deviations from the plan, but that is what makes life exciting no?

Have a lovely 2008, and eat well!

No comments: